Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Let 'em hunt?

The question posed was whether hunting with a springer involves quartering accompanied by active handling and whistle pips, or just letting the dog hunt. The respondent is a successful springer trainer and has also judged for our Dogwood WSSCA tests. I'm reproducing the response in full for all of our enjoyment and knowledge.

I would say that at times, I am on the whistle with the dog but most of the time, I am just letting the dog hunt.

Quartering is all about searching for game. A dog that does not quarter well will miss game. This is not to be confused with a dog quartering in a methodical windshield wiper pattern over unproductive ground just because the pattern looks nice.

The quartering pattern should also have different "looks" depending on the wind. I am sure this is covered in most training books. I have learned that if I will not whistle, the dog will utilize the wind to its advantage to find birds. This shouldn't be a "taught" skill ... well.. the handler has to be "taught" what to expect and then stay out of the dogs way.

If one of my dogs breaks out of its search routine, then there is a reason it isn't turning or coming back across and it usually means get ready for a bird to flush.

When hunting my woodcock thickets, a nice wiper pattern is not going to be expected. Too many obstacles in the way. However, the dog should cover ground on either side of me. I will walk slower and make sure all the cover has been checked out based on the wind direction and scenting conditions. I want to make sure they at least pass cover on the downwind side. I hunt my dog towards objectives making sure we check out all the likely spots game might be hanging out.

I don't think it is any different than what one should expect from a hunting dog from a pointing breed. I would hope the pointing dog would be covering ground farther away from me than my spaniels. They should search and use the wind in a similar manner.

I would say that most spaniels are natural at quartering (ie covering ground on either side of the handler). There are drills that will help refine the skill but that is just another training drill.


Sometimes it is just this easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment