Friday, July 22, 2011

Thoughts for the HT

I had some success with Larsen's retrieves by staying upright and whistling him in. This contrasts with my previous method of turning somewhat and getting into a crouch to welcome him home.

Basement fetch drills. I saw in our basement fetch drills that when I went into a crouch, Larsen got a little wary of something and hesitated until I coaxed him in. In contrast, when I stood and just called him in, he came right to me and sat with the dummy or the buck. He responds better when I am upright. I tried in the field, and it showed some improvement with his performance.

In the field. At Sunday's practice, Larsen came in to within a step and then put the bird down. I told him to fetch it up and he did. I may recall a time or two when Larsen delivered the bird to hand. Once on a drive-by, more or less. He is very, very close to a senior pass.

At the water. Larsen's water retrieves to hand were very good. On his first, he set the bird down, shook, and then brought it in. On his second, he came straight to hand.

As for his performance at start of the water retrieve itself, Larsen lurched forward on the first retrieve, but I harumphed and he sat right back down, clearly recollecting the day I went in after him. I corrected him and then sent him for the water retrieve. This time, he waited beautifully. His eyes were stuck on the bird, but he waited. When he finally lifted his eyes from the bird and looked at me, I sent him.

Hunt dead. His hunt dead was perfect and to hand. I then let him walk with me while holding the bird. We played a bit, with me taking, then giving him the bird.

Overall. Larsen is quite close to getting a pass on all of his stages. My own performance as a handler will help him over any bumps, if I can keep my composure.

No comments:

Post a Comment