Monday, August 1, 2011

Larsen earns his first Senior Hunter leg

Larsen earned his first Senior Hunter leg at the Hunt Test of the Cocker Spaniel Hunting Enthusiasts of Southeastern Wisconsin in Mazomanie, Wisconsin. It was an oven-hot 90+ degree weekend, and we went through about 40 lbs of ice keeping Larsen (and other dogs) and people cool.

Larsen NQ'd on Saturday in the Hunt Dead, one of his favorite exercises. Instead of taking a line to the downed bird, Larsen got confused and started hunting (quartering) and never made it back to the bird.

On Sunday, I did not let him dawdle on the Hunt Dead, but instead pushed him up the line as far as I was allowed to go within the rules. He got lost, but I pipped him to a sit to let him collect his wits. Then I sent him on to a successful find.

Larsen's land work on both Saturday and Sunday was very good. He was very responsive to the whistle. He hunted efficiently and enthusiastically. On both days, he returned promptly on fly-away birds. Larsen looked like a trusty field companion.

At the water on Sunday, I sat him and told him in no uncertain terms not to move until I said ok. The bird got tossed, and the judge gave me permission to send him. I waited, though, until Larsen looked away from the bird and into my eyes. Then I let him go. He came in, and put the bird down, which is not desirable, but he picked it back up, brought it to me, and we were in the books. I don't know who was more pleased, me, or Susan W., Larsen's breeder and one of the Sunday judges.

Photos to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment