Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cocker test at Luke Weaver's farm

I barely remember running Larsen on Saturday.  Sunday stands out in my mind, though.  I was committed to keeping on top of Larsen with the hope of stopping him if he broke.  The plan didn't work out as intended, since crowding Larsen made him move down the field all the faster.  His flush came near my feet, and when he decided to take off to the bird, I made my lunge -- a belly-to-the ground grab of his rear leg.  We were dismissed, of course.  A funny round of applause, probably for the ridiculousness of lunging for your dog in a Master Hunter run.  But it was heartfelt, since everyone in the gallery had been there at one time or the other.

Saturday's run was a bit more stylish.  I started Larsen and then pipped him to a sit almost immediately.  That got into his head.  He stuck to my feet and only slowly started to range out.  He got his bird out on the left side and broke.

I liked that pip and sit.  I'll try doing that with getting him to sit so I can walk up.

Cathy offered to let me run Zelda.  I like the idea.  I'd be able to control for the dog and thereby see how my handling affects the dog.

Larsen enjoys the outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment