Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Scaring up Big Bird

Even though rain was coming down sideways, Larsen and I decided to explore the front 40 of Bob's yard in Hayesville, North Carolina over the weekend.  Larsen was very pleased with what he saw, smelled, and rolled in.  We wandered our way toward the front of the property when Larsen flushed two enormous turkeys.  One went left, one went right, and both went to the tree line with Larsen in pursuit, somehow, of both.  I finally hit the whistle, but it was far too late to have any effect whatsoever on the dog, whose eyes were bugging out of his head.  I imagine he was hoping that somehow I would take a shot at one of those big birds.

After their escape, Larsen retraced his steps the point of the initial flush, hoping to pick up the scent and continue to trail.  I had absolutely no control as he tried first one and then another scent trail.  After some time, I pipped the frothing dog to a sit.  I got him by the ear and frog-marched him toward me and hit the "come" whistle a few times.  Then I lassoed him and headed to the house.

In another few days, we will be on the field trying for a MH leg.    


No comments:

Post a Comment