Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Amping it up

With a Hunt Test in Wisconsin at the end of July, it's time to start amping up Larsen's training.

In his basement table drills, I've brought out a thawed bird. I place it on the floor, about 6 feet away, and have him fetch it up. During the first few days, he would nose the bird, pick it up, and start to trot away from me. I'd give him a command and bring him in.

I've repositioned the fetch so that his best strategy now is to take it right past me rather than away from me. I'm working on my own performance as well. When he comes up, I do not snatch the bird right away. I wait. Then I say give, and he drops the bird, to some quiet attaboys from me.

I let him heel with me around the basement perimeter with the bird in his mouth. Then I hupped him, stood in front of him about six feet away and called him in.

I'm trying to get my own muscle memory and trust factor going for letting him handle and deliver the bird. I hope it carries over into the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment