Friday, September 16, 2011

The bench

Force fetch training is not for everyone. It is a heavy hand for a modern day and age. I've been putting Larsen on the bench regularly, following Joe's Gentle Force Fetch, which is stopped down from the traditional ear pinch.

I want Larsen to hold a bumper properly, and not like a cigar.

Lately, I've gone with the ear pinch. I give the fetch command, and if Larsen hesitates, I pinch the inside of his ear with my fingernail. When he reaches for and takes the bumper properly, I let the pinch go, and praise, praise, praise.

No treats, though. Joe says that you don't want the dog to anticipate a treat, because this will cause him to fail to grasp the bumper (or bird) through the entire exercise and can lead to putting the bird down too early.

At today's session, I had some real success. Larsen reached for both bumper and rubber Dokken bird (which he tries to grab by the feet) properly and enthusiastically. I took him to the back yard, and had him do a couple of bumper fetches and they were enthusiastic and very un-cigarlike.

No comments:

Post a Comment