Thursday, February 9, 2012

How to untrain your dog

I could write a book.

This chapter has to do with the care and feeding of bobwhite quail, an escape, and a recapture by an eager spaniel who then manages to untrain himself with my help.

I have a few quail from last practice, and I was refreshing the cabbage, apples, water, and shredded paper that I had put into the crate. It was pretty easy for one of those birds to slip by and pop out onto the driveway. Larsen had been watching me with great interest, and he chased the bird across the drive and over the lawn before snagging it. Ok, fine, I suppose. I brought him into the back yard for a little work.

Here's where it really unwinds. Larsen went to his prancing around with the bird and would not come when whistled or called. I finally got the bird from him, and to show him that there were no hard feelings (what on earth was I thinking?) I let him fetch it again. So now we had 2x turns at parading!

I only wonder what will happen at this Sunday's practice session.

Unwitting accomplices.

No comments:

Post a Comment