Sunday, May 20, 2012

Good correction

Sometimes a well-executed correction can be the highlight of the practice.

I sent Larsen into the water for a water retrieve.  Larsen brought the bird to shore and then shook.  He then dillied with the bird so I called him.  He did not immediately pick up the bird and deliver it to hand, so I took three quick steps to him and grabbed him by the bottom of his collar, under his throat, as Venee had suggested.

Then I called him and pulled him forward firmly.  I did this three times: "here!" (pull); "here!" (pull); "here!" (pull).  Then I sent him for the bird on a hunt dead.

Once more, the bird was not delivered to hand.  Without any fuss, I took my steps forward, grabbed Larsen by the collar, and pulled him toward me saying "here!".

I sent him again for a dead.  Now came perfection.  Larsen returned the bird to hand and sat.  Good boy.

I took the bird, gave him a pat on the chest, and looped him up for a walk to the car and a little treat.

More on Sunday's practice later.


A beautiful morning in the Tallapoosa River valley.




Larsen readies himself for a busy morning of practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment