Thursday, November 15, 2012

Stake out

A stake can be useful during the warmer months.  I hesitate to pop Larsen into the station wagon right after a run.  I'd like to let him stay in a shady spot on some thick grass where some air can circulate.

The stake (or tie out) is handy for that.  You can pound in the stake with a small sledge (which I happen to have) and then just loop the British lead over the stake.  I've found that Larsen, like many spaniels, does not test the robustness of the stake even if he keens to get back onto the field.  In the one pictured below, I pound it in about to the wings.  Not much more.

I find that the straight stake and a small sledge is better than the screw-type tie out (also pictured below) due to the hard Georgia clay.  The benefit of the screw type (which I also have somewhere in the basement) is that you don't need to tote a sledge.

The one pictured below is about $5 at gundogsupply.

Just pound this in and loop the lead over the top.





This stake is handy where the soil is soft.  

No comments:

Post a Comment