Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What's in your kit?

Training dogs is accompanied by bramble scratches, bird pecks, and miscellaneous mishaps.  I've got several first-aid kits, small enough to carry, and larger for the car.  Just thinking through my own I have several kits, storebought and self-assembled.  Sure, they have things like forceps (as well as whistles & compasses) but I'll tell you what I use regularly:

Used on people
  • sunscreen
  • bug repellent
  • hydrogen peroxide (also for dog)
  • bactine/neosporine
  • band-aids
  • waterless hand wash
  • benadryl cream 


For dog
  • saline eye wash & artificial tears (soother)
  • gauze wrap (wiping cuts and dog teeth)
  • blunt nose scissors (cutting out burrs & mats)
  • prilosec (used once in a while on long trips)
  • steel-toothed comb (tailgate check)
  • benedryl tabs with dosage per 50lb written on plastic containing bag.



Some of these items are not exactly first aid, and only my car kit has the steel-toothed comb, for example, but I found that by putting things like sunscreen in the first aid kit, I rummaged through the kit regularly.  As a result, I didn't treat the kit like an untouchable shrine and I learned what was in it, what was useful, and I was more likely to think to pull out an aspirin or a bandaid if someone needs it.

Don't forget to refamiliarize yourself with the basics of canine first aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment