Monday, September 9, 2013

A dream come true

First the dream, then the true part, and then you can decide whether there is a parallel universe.

In the dream, a chukar flitted out horizontally, enticing Larsen to follow.  I did not blow my whistle fearing that he would not obey the sit command.  However, on his own, Larsen stopped and sat and made some indication to the bird to do likewise, which it did.  Now bird and dog sat together.  I stepped away for a moment, but as luck would have it, I was at the Atlanta Braves stadium and there was a nearby camera operator who might have caught the action.  I asked whether I could watch the replay in order to figure out what to do next.  The camera operator said sure, but first I'd have to watch some commercials that were queued up.  He asked me whether the dog would sit that whole time.  I said the dog would sit, but I wasn't sure about the bird.  At that time, my dream flitted off and that's all I remember.

At Tim's Larsen flushed a pigeon, and I hit the sit whistle.  Larsen sat, but then so did the bird, about three feet away.  Tim and I looked at each other, and Tim suggested that I let him get the bird, but not to use his name, since his name command is a school's-out dismissal and one where I would never get him back under control.  I told Larsen to "go-on," which is his start-to-hunt command, which he was not totally sure about, so I said, "ok," which is pretty close to a school's-out command.  Larsen pounced, put the bird up, and sat to the whistle.  Tim shot the bird, and then we parlayed some more to determine if and when to send Larsen for the retrieve.  (We did, and the retrieve was good.)

You decide for yourself whether the dream was a premonition.  I didn't learn that much from it, except not to be surprised by the surprising.

1 comment:

  1. "I didn't learn that much from it, except not to be surprised by the surprising." - A Frankly memorable line ... which I hope to recall when useful.

    ReplyDelete