Thursday, December 26, 2013

Better pizza

Making better pizza is a journey rather than a destination.  One of my correspondents recommends a pizza stone of steel!

- A 1/2" thick piece of A36 steel cut to fit on your home oven rack is better than any pizza stone.  Preheat for 1 hr at max temp your oven will do.  Most fabricators will do this for you.  Just make sure you wash the hell out of it before first use.

- All pizza/bread doughs using commercial yeasts (dry instant yeast, dry active yeast, fresh cake yeast) are MUCH better (tasting and handling) if you do a day (or more) retarded fermentation in the fridge.  You'll need to cut down the amount of yeast used and take the dough out of the fridge a couple of hours before use.

I've used mine for a few years now and haven't seasoned it.  However, it is VERY dry here in Denver, as I'm sure you know.  Obviously, seasoning wouldn't hurt.

I'm not a steel industry guy, but have practiced environmental engineering for 30 odd years, so I'm a bit paranoid.  I think all flat top grills are A36 steel, so no worries there.  I did the following when I got my piece from the fabricator:

- made sure there was no slag left (knocked off any loose sh$t)
- Washed/scrubbed it in the sink with detergent until a white cloth came up clean
- put it in the oven @ 550F for an hour figuring that would burn off an[y] volatiles

So far so good.  My piece weighs about 32 lbs.  If I were to do it again, I'd cut the piece in half perpendicular to its long axis.  It would be much easier to deal with in two 15 lb pieces!


No comments:

Post a Comment