Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Mystery

It's not clear whether Larsen has one or two ailments.  On Sunday, he stopped mid-walk and sat.  I knew by his look that he hurt.  We eased our way back to the car and went home.  He stood around roach-backed and did not want to walk.  His appetite and energy were very low.  I poked and prodded everything and found no tender spots (lip licking or turning his head toward me).  I smelled his breath for any decay (stomach ache) or metallic (poison) smell but found nothing.

My initial conclusion was physical: a pull or twist to the right rear leg based on his stretching and his unwillingness to hop onto the couch.

Monday at the vets produced nothing but watchfulness.  We did no bloodwork.  Stools firm and no vomiting so probably no intestinal blockage.  He was de-hydrated, based on stickiness of his gums, so I forced Pedialyte into him (poured it down his throat from a Coke bottle).

On Tuesday, Larsen seemed more lively.  However, I noticed that he would not grab cheese from my lips because doing so would cause him to rear back on his hind legs and he did not want to do this.  He ate and, at dinner time, had a huge drink to the relief of Aki and me.

On Wednesday, after a walk, he spit up.  Stools a little loose.  But the walk otherwise was energetic, but deliberately short.  Then, at home, I set him in the back yard to chase a squirrel.  He took off, leaped onto some round rocks and twisted his right rear leg.

That hurt.  He cried and ran around like it really, really hurt.  I caught up to him and just soothed him.  Carried him into the house.

Questions: Was this a re-injury of something done on our walk on Sunday?  Was the initial injury on Friday in the metropark?  Is there something internal going on as well?

Vet appointment today at 4:45.


Larsen does his best to hide in the exam room.

No comments:

Post a Comment