Friday, February 21, 2014

Practice notes

Last Sunday, I had Larsen on the long cord.  I successfully sat him to the flush and shot.  His second bird was a nick, and I mistakenly sent him for a dead bird instead of walking up and hunting it.  The generally unharmed bird took flight and Larsen broke.  I can get a steady only in extremely controlled circumstances.  Still, it is a start.

Larsen and I later went to work on water, and while I was there I tossed the bird and pipped him to sit.  He enjoyed that game and on a turn or two sat before the whistle.

Meanwhile, my efforts with Zelda were a little clumsy.  She self-hunted for a while and I had to pull her in (using the whistle) and recast her a few times.  However, both Tim and Cathy have remarked that my own efforts with both Zelda and Larsen are looking better.  Quieter and more authoritative.  That is a tribute to working with an exceptional dog and being able to focus on one's own actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment