Sunday, May 18, 2014

Training notes

It's been a long while since Larsen and I have had any successes.  Today we had three.  Sunny, Zelda, Aubrey, and even the thinker himself, Humphrey, showed snap, crackle, and pop in the field.  We looked at each other to wonder what had gotten into the dogs, as each seemed to outdo the other.

I told Cathy and Shoni that I needed a success with Larsen.  We set up the simple drill where the bird is practically at your feet and you call your dog toward you for a flush and a sit.  In this case, the bird on its own accord elected to make a break, flying perpendicular to the line.  I asked Shoni to shoot, and she did.  Larsen had not moved an inch, so I told him to get the bird, which he did.  Cathy later confessed that the whole episode happened so quickly she barely understood what had just happened.  The keys in  my mind were:


  • I hit a timely stay whistle;
  • Shoni was ready and shot as soon as she had a safe shot picture;
  • I sent Larsen with all dispatch and did not fool with him.  Fair, firm, fun.  He sat, and he was awarded.  This is fair in his mind.
We had two more turns - - contrived to be sure, but what counts right now is (1) success; and (2) fairness.  Larsen sat and he was sent.  If A then B.  

No comments:

Post a Comment