Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Notes from Burge

From last December:


  1. Only allow Larsen to retrieve when I invite him to.
  2. Always go to him.  Make him accept my head pat.
  3. Stay on my line when handling.  Make him understand that I won't follow him around.  We are hunting together.
  4. Control his ground.
  5. Command only once.
    • Do not plead with the whistle.
    • If not obeyed, go to a different method of enforcement.
  6. Mix up training or play.
    • Sometimes call him away, then hunt him away.
    • Perhaps send for the dead.
    • Invite him to retrieve.
  7. One out of every 5 can I send him on a shot burd.
  8. Any time there is a hup, walk up to him and pat him.  Then recast him or whatever.
  9. Keep a clip-wing with me.  Toss it out when he's moving and tell him to leave it.
    • That's my fall-back.
  10. Challenge him on his retrieves.  Don't let him go onto his retrieves.  He knows this part.

No comments:

Post a Comment