Friday, April 30, 2010

Tru story


The Tru Nord compass.




Now, this is a little funny.  I was walking in mid-town Manhattan, right in front of Grand Central Station, and a guy stopped me and asked "which way is west?"  I put down my packages, and reached into my pocket for my Tru Nord compass.  "Well, let's just see!"  I pointed west to him and he sort of disagreed (with a compass!).  "New York is on an angle," he said, and walked off.  I wondered what he was talking about, and only later figured that what he was really asking me was where do the "west" streets start (we were on E. 42nd at the time and (evidently) the dividing line between E. 42 and W. 42 is 5th Ave).

I wonder if he went home that evening and said, honey, you won't believe what happened to me downtown.  Only in New York!

No comments:

Post a Comment