Saturday, April 24, 2010

Zap

It's impossible to get a rational discussion about the e-collar, I decided.  Some trainers, frankly, are too harsh in their use of these devices.  Others, and this includes esteemed dog trainers with popular books, take a self-righteously pious attitude that leads you to conclude that a bona fide trainer would never resort to the e-collar.  Neither will engage in a solid discussion about the pros and cons.

I get a ton of email ads and usually delete them.  This one from Dogs Unlimited caught my attention and got me thinking about the e-collar once again.  As luck would have it, I have the very brand that DU is advertising.  I don't mean to advertise it here, but only wonder if I can trust the ad copy that I'm reading.

Have you ever seen someone "training" a dog to come, then zapping it with an e-collar when it refused? I have, and let me tell you, I wanted to come unglued! A dog will never obey a command that's followed by a jolt of pain.

Have you even seen a dog that blinks birds? More than likely, someone has used a hot e-collar while the dog was in close contact with birds, such as in the breaking process.

E-collars are not meant to inflict painThey are a tap or a tickle -- at most, a discomfort -- to correct unwanted behavior. Here's how Alan Davison of DOGS Unlimited puts it: "A pro handler grabbed me by the ear, twisted it, as hard as he could then shouted at me, "What's your social security number?"

"There was absolutely NO WAY I could remember it, let alone repeat it." This is what you do to your Good Dog when you inflict pain to try to achieve a positive result.

The best use of an e-collar is to break your dog's attention on an unwanted activity, like running off in the wrong direction. Starting at the lowest setting, send a momentary  stimulation. No response? Turn it up one level and try again. Keep increasing the intensity until your dog responds by slowing down, perhaps looking at you. Now give your command to turn, come back, go left, go right, whatever it is. All you need to do is get him out of "the zone" and reminded him of what the two of you are there for: to hunt as a team.
Another training web site said that what you are looking for is a slight jerk of the head, as though a fly had buzzed by.  Maybe a quick lick of the lips.  I've held the e-collar in my hand and lit it up on #2, which is the strength that I would use on Larsen.  I didn't care for it, but I didn't yelp or anything.

I still refrain from using it, but I'd like some real guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment