Monday, September 13, 2010

Let's see a little energy

I put Larsen on the training table and told him to take the Dokken chukar.  He basically looked around and past the bird, and if he could have whistled an absent-minded tune, he would've done that. 

In contrast, Larsen was perfect with his other fetch toys.  He took hold of the barbell, wooden rod, or PVC pipe when told to and held each one until I asked for it.

So you see, there is something he sees in the bird that bugs him.  When I put the Dokken into his mouth, he holds it like a trooper - - but with no interest, excitement or anticipation of a treat or a pat. 

We stepped back.  Let's just fool with it.  He got a treat or two right off the Dokken, and then finally, for whatever reason, he gave the fetch dummy a grab by the body like he should.  Good deal.  Perfect.  Enough of that.

Later this morning, we played in the upstairs hallway with a few dummies, and I saw him going backward in the sense of playing with things instead of smartly picking them up and bringing them to me.

I got him excited for the Dokken - - waved it in front of him, bopped him with it, etc.  I went away from him.  He had to come toward me if he wanted to get the dummy.  I wouldn't let him have it unless he grabbed it the right way. 

That didn't happen often.  Once, or possibly twice.  But he did it.  Praise, treat, end of session. 

No comments:

Post a Comment