Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Outsmarted by a spaniel

Yes, it hurts to type those words, and I could probably have added "again" to the title.

Larsen wants to own the birds and bird wings he grabs, rather than retrieve them and turn them over to me.  He needs to get more used to birds, I figure.  Treat them like a fact of life.  Not be so possessive.  Share and share alike.

On our morning walk, I let him carry Susan's firehose & birdwing getup.  Let's just walk together, old buddy, and you can carry the bird!  He trotted along with that in his mouth for a long while, looking pretty good if I do say so myself.  I am a dog training genius.

Then he set it down, and while I was fooling with my coffee, the leash, and being half asleep anyway, he gave that fetch toy a quick mark.  Even though I rinsed it in a handy lawn sprinkler, he knew it was his, and he more or less lost interest in it.  He basically said, hey, you carry that thing now, and I did for most of the walk until the end when it started drying out and he got re-interested.

Ok, two can play at this game.  I'm going to get a quail out of the freezer and let you carry that around for a while.  Just try marking that, buster.  I'll be ready.

 
Larsen displays his chukar-winged firehose.

No comments:

Post a Comment