Friday, April 5, 2013

40 years ago

The anniversary somehow slipped by, it was a month ago, but the first mobile phone call was placed on March 4, 1973.  Here's Marty Cooper, the responsible Motorola engineer, with the original mobile phone handset, the DynaTac 8000x.  His first words on the 2 1/2 pound phone were to a colleague at Bell Labs: "Joel [Engel], this is Marty.  I'm calling you from a cellphone, a real handheld portable cellphone."

Years later, when cellphones were installed in airplanes, with charges of several dollars per minute, I called my parents.  "Hi, I'm calling from an airplane!  No.  In the air!"

Today the mobile industry processes billions upon billions of minutes per day and the conversations take some form of "where you at?"


"Come here, Watson, I need you."

Courtesy of Siliconrepublic.

No comments:

Post a Comment