Monday, April 8, 2013

Practice report

Maybe it was the two week layoff, but Larsen ignored the whistle.  He was in for multiple corrections.  Ultimately, Tim, Frank M. and I left him sitting in the field mewling while we walked off.  Tim and Frank agreed that his plaintive yipping was his way of demanding that I march myself back to him right now and get him hunting again.

On the positive front, Larsen was steady to the gun and steady to a chukar flush and a rolled-in pigeon.  My whistle work was a bit more timely, though I heard Tim pip on his whistle on occasion just a tad sooner than my own.  Ultimately, we did not have Larsen retrieve any birds because of his me-first attitude, even the chuckar that was flushed and shot, which we picked up ourselves.

I'll take some time during the week to work Larsen on a check cord and get him to turn immediately to the pips.

The practice was a lively one.  We had a team practice with Frank (Elwood, Ryder, Bibi), MJ (Quill), John S. (Bronwyn) and Venee (Violet and Natash).

Frank's Bibi was back on the field after that little dogs very serious infection and illness.  She picked up where she left off with steadiness and obedience.  Bronwyn did better than John thinks, as she retrieved with enthusiasm, holding the bird properly and not by the wing.

The day concluded with a swing over to the other side of the state to visit some property that might serve as an additional training location.


Larsen was full of himself on Sunday.

(photo courtesy of Venee)

No comments:

Post a Comment