Thursday, March 4, 2010

Spring means mud

Towing Strap
 Check Cord

A compass and map are the first things to think about when you step off the asphalt.  But, what about when you drive from the pavement onto a logging road to get to the trailhead?  Can you get back out?  This is something to think about during these wet spring days.

I once brought the convertible to a hunt test, which is somewhat like bringing a knife to a gun fight.  In the rain and gloom, the Saab got stuck in the mud right up to the front bumper.

We rocked the car and pulled and pushed and the car simply spun its way deeper into the mud.  Finally, and happily, we strung together a couple of check cords, looped them around the trailer hitch of the Saab (for bikes, nothing more) and a pickup truck, and pulled the car out of the sucking mud.

Normally, I would bring the station wagon, which at least has 4WD, rather than the 2WD convertible.  On that day, Larsen was in camp, and I went to the test myself and so I took the smaller car.  I still thank my lucky stars that I was not caught in the mud away from the crowd, since I had been driving and sliding along here and there at the WMA earlier in the day.

As for any future mis-haps, I bought a nylon tow roap and put it under the front seat.  The tow roap takes up almost no space, and it has those handy hooks that you see on both ends, which makes latching onto the car frame a cinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment