Thursday, October 4, 2012

New mistakes

I'm tired of making the same old mistakes with Larsen.

On our run last Sunday, Larsen self-hunted and was definitely un-steady.  On one flush of a big rooster, he followed just behind those enticing tail feathers.  Al shot the bird, and Larsen retrieved.

On another, Larsen sat, but only after I read to him from the book.

This marks at least the third Sunday in a row of doing the same thing and getting the same results.  Larsen is not ready for free-range hunting.  He's simply not steady.  I need to back up a step to the drill and the roll-in.  I'll move to a full hunting environment when he gets in closer to me and starts to obey that sit whistle.

I'll make more mistakes.  I'm not fooling myself about that.  But I want the mistakes to be different and show a zig zag forwardward.  Not just treading the same old ground.  Progress will come in fits and starts, built on small successes.  Larsen and I will go back to success and then move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment