Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Saturday at Tim's

Larsen and I visited Tim's for another round of one-on-one practice.

Larsen had a magnificent flush & sit.  A pigeon went up, got hung in some brush, and fluttered in Larsen's face while Larsen sat and watched.  Tim shot the bird and Larsen sat.  He keened a bit, but sat.  I sent him and the happy dog fetched the bird.

Tim compared that discipline to Moses, which is the highest of praise.

We did a bucket drill to teach Larsen left, right, and back.  Three buckets are laid out in T formation.  I started up by Larsen and sent him for single and multiple fetches.  I stepped about 3 yards away and did the same thing.  Larsen fetched even the blind retrieves, following my hand signals.  This was a great drill to learn.  I'd read about it in books, but doing it is the best teacher of all, and Larsen had a good time showing us how smart he was.


No comments:

Post a Comment