Friday, February 26, 2010

Discipline

What's the right way to discipline a dog, anyway?  I told Larsen "here, boy" and he came to me with his chewy into the kitchen, and then just kept on going.  Through the dining room, up the stairs, and into the bedroom.  I quietly walked after him (he knew he was in for it).  I grabbed him by the scruff of his chest hair and throat (he didn't have his collar on) and marched him down the hall, down the stairs, through the dining room and into the kitchen and told him to sit.  He whimpered and fought a little along the way.  But, look, he is a 50 lbs spaniel.  He goes through the thickest, thorniest brush to pursue his birdies.  I hurt him by maybe pinching a chest hair?  Gracious.  His fighting was a little pro forma, too.  I mean, if he really went after me, he could tear me to shreds, I'm sure, so he wiggled and mouthed but that's it.  I am sure he was acting, but still, it had its intended effect.  That discipline stuff does not come naturally to me.  Not at all.  I don't like to do it.  I'd like to have a good, sweet, obedient dog without the trouble of making it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment